Made with basic, uber-nutritious ingredients, these BIXI bars are guaranteed to boost your energy while tickling your taste buds with chocolatey goodness. There’s no better way to get going before hopping on your bike and riding the day away!
Because you’d probably rather spend your energy on something stimulating, like scaling Montreal’s steep streets for kilometers on end, we’ve done our best to make this recipe as painless as possible. In a mere 20 minutes, you’ll have 12 servings of a balanced (and delicious!) breakfast. That, dear cyclist, is what we call a good use of time!
To make matters even better, BIXI bars are completely vegan and lightly sweetened with whole dates and applesauce. Thanks to ingredients like black beans, peanut butter, coconut and oats, each bar is full of protein (11g), fibre (10g), slow release carbs and healthy fats that will keep your stomach and metabolism feeling great!
On that note, happy trails and bon appétit!
Makes 12 large bars
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 25 to 30 minutes
1 540ml can of black beans
1 ¼ cups unsweetened applesauce
½ cup all natural peanut butter
1/3 cup cacao
12 Medjool dates, pitted
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
1 ½ cups large flake oats
½ cup whole wheat flour
½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup toasted walnuts, coarsely chopped
3 tbsp. raw cacao nibs
3 tbsp. goji berries
½ cup of dark chocolate chips
Chopped walnuts, chia seeds or sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8-inch square baking pan with parchment paper.
- Process black beans, applesauce, peanut butter, cacao, dates, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a food processor.
- In a bowl, combine oats, flour, coconut, walnuts, cacao nibs and goji berries. Pour into food processor over wet mix and pulse a few more times, just enough to mix everything together. We don’t want to compromise the texture.
- Transfer the mix into the baking pan, smoothing it evenly with a spatula. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.
- Bake in the middle of the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Note: if you’re using a dark pan, the bars will bake faster!
- Remove from oven and use the back of a spoon to spread the melted chocolate chips over the entire batch, then sprinkle with chopped walnuts, chia seeds or sesame seeds.
- After the mixture has cooled completely, remove from pan and cut into 12 bars. Store in a sealed container and refrigerate for up to 7 days, or freeze them and store for up to one month.
The HappyFitness Movement offers outdoor group training for women. Many accomplishments, crazy laughs and sore legs are ahead, so join us!